Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Let there be lawn", she said.

Well, "she", as in I, said that a few weeks ago. The ugliness of my front yard, or should I say a place where wood chipper threw up, was becoming even more apparent now as the neighbor's lawn are all nice and green after the April and May showers! Well, it was a patch that should have had lawn, as all of the other 5 neighbors have it. And this being a condo, I do not know why we were the only people with the whole patch covered in ugly wood chips!
It was looking so ugly, that I guess, I didn't even bother to take any long shots of it.

When J was here 2 weeks ago week, it was decided that we should ask the condo sectretory that I would like to have a lawn too.. And he agreed, however, the outside maintenance guy told me that he will not be able to get to it any time soon.

I asked him again last weekend, and he told me that he won't get to it for atleast next two weeks... and he was planning on putting down grass seed and I was supposed to make it sprout by watering it! So, anyone who knows about my green thumb, or lack thereof, would know how sure I was that at this rate, I will not have any lawn this year!

Finally, this morning, after having to fish out some animal's poop from Bella's mouth, (something keeps on digging in my front yard and leaving me special gifts for busy mornings!), I decided to do it myself!

So I borrowed my neighbor's rake, and raked off the wood chips...
So much improvement already, don't you think?

 Then, a little later in the afternoon, it came to me... rolled grass! I had seen it on a TV show and noticed it a few weeks ago in Homedepot. But it was not in the store that is close to me, but it was at a farther one! Who cares? I was all geared up. I measured my yard.. 20ft x 8.5ft, then called the store for price! As it turn out, it is not called "rolled lawn", its called "sod". And it was under $5 for a 5ft x 2ft section! Not bad, huh?

The only problem was, there was no way it was going to fit in the car!!!
So two trips, two hours, a half broken back and a dirt covered car later, the sod pieces were in my yard!
Then I had to start laying down the pieces and adjusting them. It was harder than I thought, especially because of the steep incline of my yard! I am pretty sure, I was supposed to water the ground and lay down more top soil, before the sod, but I had no energy left, and I knew, if either of those things make the slope slippery, I will not be able to continue.. so hope that the little layer of dirt the sod came with is sufficient.
The thing I did do, was to spread the nematode mix on the ground, before unrolling the pieces. These are supposed to be worms, which will kill harmful grubs and even ticks! Let's hope it works.

And there it is!
I laid down my soaker hose, and got completely soaked trying to adjust it to not soak the side walk.. But it did anyways..
And here is the top view!! Can't wait for tomorrow to take some daytime pictures :)

Time requirements:
Raking and removing small amount of weeds: 1.5 hours
Sod pickup: 2 hours
Laying down and spreading the sod: 1hr 15 mins or so
Cleaning the car: 20 mins

Not bad for a day's work.

------------Day time-------------------
How beautiful do the plants look with the green border!
And the hostas are flowering :)
And my little annual garden looks beautiful!!!
Hallooooo Summer~~~~~

No comments: