Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dresser 2.1 and 2.2

I am not sure if its the result of the current economic depression or people are just getting a creative kick, internet is swarming with pictures of old dressers converted into TV tables. May be its just me that I have started looking into these things I didn't as I have graduated and do not work every waking moment of my life.
So I decided that that is what I want for my TV table as well. Currently I have a small black basic TV table given to me by my cousin. It has worked just fine for me so far. But it is very plain, black and very uninteresting. I love the pieces from this online shop called One Kings Lane. However, I do not think I will ever be able to afford to shop there as this little piece costs like $300.
Aurelia Cabinet
And then I saw a post for a free one on Craig's list on the same weekend that J was here.. Perfect! Because you know, I can't really pick them up by myself, and even if the previous owner helps me get it into my car, I usually can't take it out of the car!

So we went and got this one. Which seems like it has been out on the guy's deck for a few weeks!
Dresser 2.1
I brought it home and sprayed it well with the mold remover and blocker, which I had handy because of the leak problem I had in the house previously! And then I noticed a few things I had not noticed before, the dresser is kind of sagging in the middle, the drawers are old center glide ones and all of the glides are missing.. and the sagging has caused a huge crack on the top! But it was already in my garage.

As we were bringing this one in, I had noticed another dresser sitting on a curb very close to my house! So I begged J that we go and look at it. As it turns out, it is actually in a much much better condition than the 2.1. The glides are all present and there is no mold!

Dresser 2.2
So then I changed my plan to make this the TV table, and make the other one into....... well, something else!

However, now I am thinking that since I need more of just a cabinet with drawers and not drawers in my TV cabinet for the VCR/DVD player and cable modem, router and Wii, May be I should go back to my first plan. That would mean I will convert Dresser 2.1 completely (or mostly) into cabinet with the drawer fronts as doors, and dresser 2.2 will stay a pretty dresser in my bed room, I currently I use plastic drawers for my things!

Will see, for now they are both sitting in my garage along with D3 and the sewing machine cabinet!

Update Aug 22, 2012:
And the tables sat in the garage the whole of summer!! I wasn't able to get to them at all with all the other projects we have been doing around the house.

After selling D1, I am into a cleanup mode for my garage.. My Mom and Dad are visiting me in a couple of months. I know, my Mom is going to have a heart attack, if she sees it in the condition it is in currently. So D2.2 got donated to ReStore. I don't feel bad about it as I had gotten it for free any ways.. And if you remember how hard it was doing the slides on D1, you will agree with me that I was really not looking forward to redoing all the slides on this one.. Even though the drawers had these beautiful dovetail construction and beautiful hardware, all the drawer slides were missing and the top was slightly sagging.. which meant, I would have to do a lot of manipulation to make this one work! So its gone.

Still have my D2.2 and it is going to become the TV cabinet with the middle drawer in the middle row being a shelf with mesh inset similar to the one done by Marti from Project Palermo for DVD player, wireless router and in space permits Wii.
Ofcourse, this  is prompted partially by the need to house all these things that need IR remote access, and partially by the fact that I am missing one drawer pull and finding it very hard to get a matching one.

Again, the dresser waits its turn!

No comments: